tzipi

it's the bread of astronauts!
[spiffywafer.com]

6.14.2005

Flip-flopping

I'm bouncing back and forth between here and xanga; I can't decide which is better. I started a Hebrew journal at xanga a long time ago, which switched to an art journal, which switched to a nothing journal of randomness (or a random journal of nothingness). One thing I don't like about xanga is you have to buy it in order to do any kind of customization, including adding links on the side to blogs that do not belong to xanga. Same with livejournal, but lj is like $5/2mo or something cheap like that.

I've been talking to my dad more lately. It seems as though he wanted to be good friends with me in high school but never figured out how to talk to me, and until I really started trying to talk to him the only thing we said back and forth were quotes from the Simpsons. Which is a fine show, but seriously, how long can you quote it? Years? Because it's been years. Well, Simpsons along with Seinfeld and Monty Python. We're all nerds, you see.

So I guess it's good that we kind of have a good relationship now that I'll be home for the next month. In a month I'll be moving to Texas. This is scary.

I'm used to being surrounded by Republicans and fundamentalist Christians, so that's not the problem (not to say all Texans are like that, or whatever, but if I do encounter a good number of them I am prepared). I was still somewhat proud of my state and its history. But I was in a Democratic state so I felt like this was the minority and just happened to be the people I made friends with. I'm not sure I can be proud of Texas. I can't decide. I'm sure it's a fine place to live but I'm not sure I'm ready for the heaviness that is Southern History, especially Texas, which not only has a heavy "distant" past, but recent past and current affairs.

I'm a little afraid of Texas, I'll have to admit. Not Texans, but Texas. Its hugeamosity, its SUVs, its meat-obsession (although I love to eat meat occassionaly, it makes me sick to my stomach to see a gigantic grill with like 600 freaking pounds of flesh burning), its history, its present, its political spawn, its insects, etc.

Oh I love insects - it's the arachnids, really, that scare the crap out of me. And most arachnids are fine, even Black Widows are kind of cool, but those Recluse Spiders really scare the CRAP out of me!

Anyway. Texas. I'm going there. Yeehaw. (I'll probably write more about this later)

3 Comments:

At 7:30 PM, Blogger Aaron said...

Wierd. My dad and I had the same relationship. Still do in fact. He'll call us (the brothers and I) whenever the Soup Nazi episode comes on.

The image you conjure up of the Texan BBQ is quite vivid. 600 pounds. Jesus. What's that? LIke 80 dead cows?

 
At 8:33 PM, Blogger tzipi said...

well, 600 pounds is perhaps an exaggeration. BUT ... I did go to a rodeo with many many gigantic grills with more pork sides and beef sides than I can count a-burnin.

Rodeos, by the way... terrible. I will never go to one again. I just wanted to experience it once. Once is definitely enough.

 
At 1:22 AM, Blogger Aaron said...

go see a bullfight.

they're insane. they just run around stabbing and spearing this sedated beast. its so sad. you actually find yourself cheering for the bull in hopes he gores the matador.

or a cockfight. that is beyond my understanding. roosters ump over each with blades taped around their foot. only in indonesia!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home