tzipi

it's the bread of astronauts!
[spiffywafer.com]

9.06.2005

It doesn't make up for gross inaction

Swirling news. I got a new kitten. I named her Lilly. Tomorrow is our first vet appointment - this is a big deal for me because I've never been to the vet by myself for my own animal. I always go for my parents' animals with my parents (I'm the designated puppy-wrangler, because I'm pretty much the only person in my family who can keep the dogs under control in the car).

Super exciting. That's her on the right. I've been showing her off to everyone and everyone tells me how cute she is... she is going to be one vain kitty. She already stares at herself in the mirror - which is weird, because I though that cats couldn't see their reflections.

That photo was taken by my roommate's boyfriend with his fancy schmancy digital camera. I cropped it, though, so it is nicely framed, because originally it was a huge image that had my nasty ogly eyes in it. But you can also see my neat livingroom surrounding the kitten. As well as my laptop, dvd remote, and super-trendy target glass.

So what's been up? I'm in Houston, so I have somewhat of an obligation to do more than the usual volunteering and stuff for the people affected by Katrina. It's not a bad obligation. It kind of feels like the obligation I feel towards keeping kosher. I want to do it/I have to do it, it kind of blurs into one big mitzvah-mush. It's a weird feeling. So I'm donating money and food, volunteering to sort out clothes, making "personal hygiene bags," as well as volunteering time to serve food at one of the shelters. I'm not one of the amazing ones. I went to a training session yesterday at this huge Baptist church, and they said that in the past three days they'd trained over 17,000 people, not including the people that were in the building at that moment (probably another couple hundred or more). I haven't donated the money or food yet, though, so whatever. It's on my list. Those people aren't going anywhere for many months.

I've heard random people tell me that people outside of Texas think that we aren't doing enough. That really pisses me and everyone who hears that shit off. It's like, why don't you get your ass down here and do more than donate money and forget about it? Stop whining and actually volunteer your time while working a full time job on the side. Pshh.

Everyone I know is doing everything they can, even high school kids who are over-committed with their time as it is. The schools are taking in all the kids for free, synagogues and churches are opening their arms in aid in every way, people are giving their homes, people are paying rent and deposits for apartments... A lot of people around here have very little to give, but they are giving what they can.

I also feel somewhat obligated to help due to my response to 9-11. I didn't do anything. I didn't go to vigils, I didn't help the families, I didn't even really react at all. I completely didn't believe it happened. I still don't really comprehend it. I was cruelly apathetic and in a way I still am, not on purpose, but because on top of me not really absorbing it at the time 9-11 has become the dead horse that's been beaten to death in every political way. And I was in NJ for that; I could have done something. I was less than an hour's train ride away from the city. Instead, I went back to sleep and was happy I missed class that day. Bleh.

This time I feel like... once again I am strategically placed right by the major disaster. And while it doesn't make up for my gross inaction almost exactly four years ago, at least I am doing my part this time.

It also makes me wonder. I wonder where I'll be in four years (it'll be about time for me to move again). I wonder if I should warn whatever state I move to that the one adjacent to it will be hit by something of crazy proportions. Maybe one day it will be something awesome and not some tragedy.

2 Comments:

At 12:38 AM, Blogger Aaron said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 12:39 AM, Blogger Aaron said...

If you wouldn't have skipped out on 9/11, you wouldn't have learned the lesson and wouldn't have lent such a helping hand, as you're doing now, during Katrina, when it is needed even more.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home